XIX WORLD CONGRESS OF THE WORLD FEDERATION OF THE DEAF
Presenters’ Guidelines & Upload
Guidelines / Submission of data
Securing Human Rights in Times of Crises
Jeju, South Korea
8–15 July 2023
Organized by the
Organizing Committee of the 2023 World Congress of WFD
Hosted by the
World Federation of the Deaf
Korea Association of the Deaf
Sponsored by the
Ministry of Health and Welfare of the ROK
Jeju Special Self-Governing Province; and others
Announcement and Call for Proposals
The XIX World Congress of WFD, is being held for the first time in Korea and for the second time in Asia. On the Korean Peninsula, which remains the last divided country as a legacy of the Cold War, this congress will discuss world peace and produce a declaration of peace for the region. Progress for the deaf over the course of Korean history and recent policy achievements will also be shared.
The World Federation of the Deaf was established in Italy in 1951 to support human rights for the deaf around the world and heighten awareness of sign language. Since its establishment in 1951, the WFD has held a world congress every four years. This congress will touch on issues ranging from deaf people’s human rights, education, and health to sign language, technological development, and international development and cooperation. It will then discuss the current status of its 130 member countries and seek solutions together.
The 19th World Congress of the WFD is being organized by the OCWC in cooperation with the Korea Association of the Deaf. Previous congresses in this series were held in Rome (1951), Zagreb (1955), Wiesbaden (1959), Stockholm (1963), Warsaw (1967), Paris (1971), Washington D.C.(1975), Varna (1979), Catania (1983), Espoo (1987), Tokyo (1991), Vienna (1995), Brisbane (1999), Montreal (2003), Madrid (2007), Durban (2011), Istanbul (2015), and Paris (2019).
● S Sign languages and Deaf Studies
– Online education
– Deaf education in daily lives
– Deaf education policy and Sign language education act
– Deaf education in CRPD
● E Achieving Quality Multilingual Inclusive Education
– Deaf people’s employment discrimination
– Deaf people’s employment opportunities
– Code of professional ethics for Sign language interpreter
● T Technology, Accessibility, and Employment
– Changing the deaf community because of COVID 19
– Deaf mental health care
– Health Rights Act for the disabled
● ICD International Cooperation and Development
– Deaf communities around the least and developing countries of education system and curriculum development
– The support and cooperation for the education centers of the least and developing countries
– Prohibition of discrimination against the deaf and guarantee of human rights in the least and developing countries
● H Human Rights during Humanitarian Emergencies and Crises
– Sign languages in libraries service
– Deaf culture movement through the sign languages
– Haptic signals for the deafblind
– Studies on the direction of Korean sign language
● I Intersectionalities in Deaf Communities
– Importance of AI technology around the deaf community
– Perspective social network platform for the deaf people
– Sign languages based on AI Interpreter for communication between the deaf and non disabled
It is requested that all persons wishing to participate in the WFD2023 register online in advance via the WFD2023 official website. In addition, they must send a completed a Participation Form to the OCWC.
4. Submission of Abstracts
Anyone wishing to present a paper or poster during this congress must submit a A4 one-page synopsis and an abstract, both in electronic format (PDF) directly to the OCWC. Instructions on how to upload the synopsis to the WFD2023’s web browser-based file submission system or the contact email address will be available on the WFD2023 official website as of July 2021. The synopsis and abstracts must be submitted through this system between 1 March and 1 April 2022. No other form of submission will be accepted.
IMPORTANT: The electronically received two-page synopsis will be considered by the WFDWC Commission Presidents and WFDCLO.
5. Acceptance of Papers and Posters
Authors will be notified by email by June 2022 whether their papers have been accepted for presentation or for poster presentation and will be informed of the assigned paper number and presentation session.
6. Submission of full Manuscripts
Full manuscripts shall be submitted through the OCOW file submission system. Specifications for the layout and electronic format of the full manuscripts and for the preparation of posters will be available on the WFD2023 official web site. This site will be reopened for submission of accepted papers on 20 August 2022. The deadline for electronic submission of the full papers as PDF files is 23 September 2022. The OCOW will not accept regular papers submitted after the deadline, and any subsequent submission by email will not be accepted either.
The specifications and instructions for preparing the full manuscripts will be posted on the WFD 2023 official’s web page by May 2022.
IMPORTANT: Historically, up to 70% of all papers for previous congress were submitted during the last week before the submission deadline. Authors are therefore encouraged to submit papers as early as possible.
Participants are not charged any registration fees. Your invitation letter will explain for the free registration and travel expense coverage specifics.
Detailed information on accommodation and other administrative details will be available on the WFD 2023 official websites of the congress.
Participants are responsible for taking the steps required to obtain a visa or entry permission for the Jeju, South Korea. As the processing of visa applications can take up to three months, participants are strongly advised to start this process as soon as possible. Participants are strongly encouraged to refer to the web site for details on how to apply especially as the specifics can change in accordance with the COVID-19 situation.
10. Working Language
The working language of the WFD 2023 will be IS and KSL with English and Korean. Simultaneous interpretation will be provided for some, but not all events during the congress.
11. Official Website
Participants are encouraged to visit the o f f i c i a l information.
WFD2023 web site:https://www.2023wfdjeju.com/